These are the best. I know this because I once brought a batch of them to my daughter’s preschool Christmas party. That evening, one of the moms sent out a school-wide email with a picture of them, asking who brought them and could they please have the recipe. Life has been downhill ever since.
You will need:
-3/4 cup shortening
-1 cup plain sugar
-1/4 cup molasses
-2 cups plain flour
-1 tsp. baking powder
-1 tsp. baking soda
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1 heaping tsp. ground ginger
-1 heaping tsp. cinnamon
-3/4 tsp. allspice
-1/2 tsp. cloves
Sparkling sugar, for rolling
- Using electric mixer at medium speed, beat shortening and white sugar together for 3-4 minutes, until fluffy, scraping down sids as needed.
- Add egg and molasses and beat until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, mixer together remaining ingredients (except sparkling sugar).
- Add to shortening and sugar mixture one cup at a time. Mix at low speed after each addition until just combined
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill in fridge one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 convection bake OR 375 on regular bake. Shape into one tablespoon sized balls, and roll in sugar individually.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on racks.
Like most cookie dough, this freezes very well. Just shape, roll in sugar, and place the dough balls on a cookie sheet. Freeze on cookie sheet for a few hours, then place in freezer bag and freeze up to a few months. Just add a minute or so to the baking time if baking from frozen.