This keto-friendly white chicken chili is a bit more effort than many slow cooker recipes, but it is worth it. It is a delicious, well seasoned Chili with A little bit of heat. The recipe does have beans, but if you are on a strict Keto diet, they can simply be left out.
I hate normally recipes that are advertised as being easy, healthy, or quick. It makes me think that it probably won’t actually taste good.
This recipe is keto-friendly, but it is SUPER good! It’s a little spicy but tons of flavor and is very satisfying.
It’s one of those annoying slow cooker recipes that requires you to dirty a pan and precook things. But alas, it is necessary. “Easy” slow cooker recipes are pretty much universally ew. If you have an Instant Pot you can sauté everything using the sauce function, and then switch to slow cooking. (This according to my mother, who did it this way. I don’t have an Instant Pot.)
Any type of bone-in, skin-on chicken parts will do. I just do thighs because they are the least expensive. It seems silly to brown them and then discard the skins. But this method adds flavor to the vegetables and keeps the chicken moist.
Don’t cook the chicken too long or you will get gross “slow cooker chicken”. You know what I mean.Print
Keto-Friendly White Chicken Chili
A slow cooker chili perfect for those on keto diets, but still tasty enough that the whole family will enjoy. A bit more hands-on than many slow cooker recipes, the extra effort is worth it.
- Yield: 8 people 1x
- 4 pieces bone-in skin-on chicken
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 fresh jalapeños, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth (1 32 oz carton)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 or 2 cans white northern beans (rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- chopped fresh cilantro
- diced avocado
- shredded cheddar
- sour cream
- crushed tortilla chips
- Pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Brown the chicken 3-4 minutes per side and remove to a plate. It will not be cooked through.
- Add the diced vegetables to the pan and allow to cook until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in 2 cups of chicken broth and simmer 5 minutes.
- Rinse the beans and add to the slow cooker. Put the browned chicken in the slow cooker. Add the sautéed veggies in their broth. Add the remaining 2 cups of chicken broth.
- Set slow cooker to LOW and allow to cook 4 hours
- After 4 hours has passed, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and allow to cool on a cutting board for 15 minutes. Then using two forks or your hands, removed the skin and discard. Shred the meat and return to the slow cooker.
- Add the 1/2 cup of heavy cream and stir to combine. Add the salt, pepper, and chili powder. Allow the chili to heat through in the slow cooker for 30 more minutes
- Add toppings and serve
Even with one can of beans added, the carb count per serving is still very low. But you can leave the beans out to reduce it further.
Other recipes you might enjoy
My other favorite chili recipe is my classic one with red beans and beef.
Chili is always good with homemade bread.