We make these rolls every week, on Tuesday. They are great for Italian sandwiches, cheesesteaks, and whatever sandwich your heart desires. The dough can also be made into larger round loaves or baguette shapes to serve with dinner.
The best thing about the rolls is that they freeze well for at least two weeks, and can be defrosted in the microwave easily (takes about 1 minute on the defrost setting). The crust can be recrisped with just a few minutes in the oven. They have a thin, crisp crust and are super soft inside.
I always, always, always knead and rise my dough in the bread machine, although I never bake in it. The stand mixer is okay. I have never had success kneading by hand, but obviously many people do.
This recipe is one of the easiest to make, but also one of the best. It is slightly adapted from Bread Machine Magic.
You will need:
4 cups of bread flour
1 1/2 cups of water
2 t. salt
2 1/2 t. instant yeast (I like Red Star brand)
Cornmeal and flour for dusting
- Combine your ingredients and knead into a soft smooth dough, preferably in a bread machine on the dough cycle.
- Cover and allow to rise until doubled. (The bread machine will take care of this, and will beep when done.)
- Divide into 10 equal pieces using a sharp knife.
- Shape into rolls, pinching the bottoms until the tops are smooth.
- Prepare your baking sheet by either spraying with non-stick spray or covering with parchment, then dust with cornmeal.
- Rub flour on top of the rolls. Place them on the baking sheet, slashing a diagonal line with a sharp knife.
- Preheat your oven to 450, and place a spare empty baking sheet with a lip in the oven.
- Cover your rolls with greased plastic wrap, and put in a warm place to rise. When they look very puffy, remove the plastic wrap.
- When the oven has preheated, pour 1 cup of water on to the spare baking sheet to create steam. It may buckle. This is okay.
- Put your risen rolls into the oven, and bake for 16-17 minutes. When done, they will have slightly browned bottoms and feel light for their size.
- Cool and use immediately or freeze.