Key lime pie is my favorite dessert, and I have made many versions, but this is the best. Start the afternoon before you want to serve it. It really needs at least 8 hours to chill once fully assembled, and it will take you about 3 hours to get to that point.
Graham cracker crust first.
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 1 and 1/2 sleeves)
1/3 cup sugar
6 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 teaspoon cinamoon
- Grind your graham crackers in a food processor to get crumbs. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until blended.
- Press into a 9 inch pie plate
- Bake at 375 for 7 minutes exactly. Do not wait for it to brown, or it will be rock hard.
- Cool at room temp for 1 hour.
Onto the pie: (this recipe comes from Allrecipes.com)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup key lime juice (MUST BE KEY LIME. Bottled key lime is fine. Fresh regular lime is NOT OKAY.)
1 teaspoon grated lime zest (normal lime is fine)
2 egg yolks
1 whole egg
4 tablespoons white sugar
2 egg whites (this all adds up to 3 whole eggs)
- Mix everything in a bowl EXCEPT the egg whites and sugar. Pour into your graham cracker crust, cover and chill for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Make meringue by mixing egg whites and sugar in an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue gently over pie.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until top starts to brown.
- Cover and chill at least 8 hours.